New visitors were not signing up because the website’s text-heavy and confusing layout obscured the site’s value.
We optimized the content and layout so that the core features and benefits were clearer. In addition we added more sign up spots.
I focused on content strategy, information architecture, and wireframing to redesign the website and reprioritize the site’s content.
We surveyed and interviewed users to understand their writing group behavior. In addition, we conducted contextual research, watching users use the site and gleaning behavioral insights.
Using the research, we distilled patterns and insights by making an affinity map and identified various user personas, including the one we would design for — the one most likely to sign up for a subscription.
Our research indicated users were overwhelmed with the site’s text content. With our client, we created a content strategy and removed unnecessary or irrelevant content.
Prototyping, Testing, and Iterating
We started designing first by sketching multiple low fidelity wireframes to get the overall layout. Next, we started testing out our medium fidelity wireframes on users to see if functionality was clear before creating the higher fidelity mockups to send to the client.